I love looking at kitchens. When we first looked at our house – the kitchen was a major selling point, and in our case, the pantry didn’t follow too far behind.
Once we moved in, we bought these huge, bulky shelves that over time just became junky and awful and terrible and we hated them. We shopped around, comparing prices, and ended up selecting Home Depot’s ShelfTrack system. We really liked that the shelves were adjustable, making it easy to create shelves that were perfect for cereal boxes, and others that were perfect for canned goods.
Before we begin, I need you to pinkie promise swear this will be a judgement free zone as this pantry was straight embarrassing…
Gross. It was to the point where we couldn’t even walk in there. Pretty pointless.
First, we cleaned everything out of the pantry. We could have fed a small country with all of the food in there – it was ridiculous. (*Disclaimer: I’m not the hoarder of our house, but I won’t disclose who is…)
At this point, I was already dreading having to put it all back. I despise packing/unpacking/anythingthatslightlyresemblespacking – and this was just way too similar.
Next, I had my studly handyman (who happens to have a problem hoarding…) start putting the track uprights on the wall. We used two uprights along each wall, spacing them so that the shelves would be sturdy. Brackets hook right onto the uprights, and the shelves sit on those brackets. We selected solid shelves versus the wire shelves, so smaller items didn’t fall through or sit unevenly.
I LOVED it. It was so clean looking, and used this space much better than before. I overcame my pure hatred of packing-ish (for an hour or so), and started loading the food. We tried to have a method to our madness when putting food away. We have shelf for baking supplies, a shelf for breakfast type foods, etc. It definitely makes things easier to find. Our final product looked like this:
Not a bad improvement! We left some space on the bottom for larger appliances/crock pots/etc.
The overall project totaled about $150, which we felt was pretty reasonable for the HUGE improvement to this space.